Archive for the ‘Books’ Category
As I mentioned we had our first book club meeting last night. It was so much fun. I don’t think any of us had been in a proper book club before so it was interesting. Just before I met the girls I spent a few minutes googling ” How to start a book club”. There are some good tips. Tips that I think are important are:
Juliet’s Tips on Starting a Book Club:
- Decide who you want to be in your book club and invite them. (There are five people in the book club that we started. One of them was sick on the night )
- Pick a name for you Book Club. Not super important but it makes it more fun. Ours is called ” Bitches, Burgers and Books”.
- Choose a meeting place. Can be anywhere you like. Your house, other peoples house, the park, local cafe’s, restuarants etc. We met up at 1000 Pound Bend.
- Decide on how often you’d like to meet and how long to read the books for. We will be meeting monthly, so we’ll have one month to read the chosen book.
- Figure out what kinds of books you all want to read or like to read. My friends and I were lucky because we all pretty much enjoy reading the same books. We’re going with mainly Non-Fiction, Culture, Fashion, Biography, History…stuff like that.
- Decide on how to decide what books to read. We came up with one person designated each month to suggest three different books then we all vote on which book to read next. Our next book will be: Patti Smith- Just Kids.
- Then just read, read, read. We will obviously meet in a month and discuss the book, what we thought about it, did we like it, did we not…etc etc
I have a few things that I want to blog about and I want to bring back photo friday but i actually don’t have time to do those posts right now so I thought I’d just tell you about something a bit fun. A couple of my friends and I are starting up our own book club. We only have four members plus one part-time member for now.
I’ve done a bit of research and there are a few things we’ll need to establish, one of those being a name for the book club. I’ll let you know more about it as soon as I can, and all of you are free to follow along online via my blog.
The first book we’ve chosen is DV by Diana Vreeland:
Keep your eyes peeled and ears tuned for more about the book club!
Last night I did something I hadn’t done in a while. I had some girl time, to do those fun girlie things I used to love doing. Like sitting in front of the mirror and styling my hair in certain ways or copying makeup from magazine pages onto myself. When I was younger I used to have folders of cutout magazine pages, one for hair and one for makeup, i found them so inspiring and would be so good at copying them. I don’t make enough time for such girlie things these days. I must remember to put it on my to-do-list.
I recently stumbled on a blog I used to love and follow called : Esme and the laneway. While I was looking through the blog I came across this tutorial: HERE on how to do a vintage inspired updo. You can see what I ended up with in photo number: 3. It was nice but I still have some more practicing to do. And today I put some extra effort, which really isn’t that much effort, into painting my nails. I did that half moon pattern thing that was popular like last year or something, I think this idea is vintage inspired too. I used those sticky dotty reinforcement stickers as a guide. Then just painted one of my favourite OPI nailpolishes over it “Done out in Deco” and then just a top coat to protect it and make the unpainted part glossy. Voilla. They look so nice.
Photo number 4 is my yummy french toast breakfast from French Fantasies in South Yarra. I sat in the window eating, pretending I was French and reading my latest read which was given to me by my lovely friend Violetta. The book is called ” The monk who sold his ferrari”. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants more clarity in their life. For those of you who are like me and think about things too much and worry too much. This book really helps with that and also reinforcing positive thinking. It puts a lot of focus into goal setting which is quite appropriate given the time of the year… Have any of you thought about your new years resolutions??? I’ve got a list of things going on but I feel as though it needs to be a little more specific. It basically is: Blog/Exercise/Draw/Journal/Read.
G R A C E . A M E M O I R . G R A C E C O D D I N G T O N
after a lovely lunch with my lovely friend emma yesterday we popped into “the paperback bookshop”. and on the shelf i saw grace’s new book. i was excited. i knew it was coming but didn’t know it was here. i looked through and was drawn in by grace. by her cute drawings. i knew this was a book i had to have. i didn’t buy it because i thought to myself, i’d save some money and buy it online. that didn’t happen though. after seeing the book, i got curious and started googling grace again, and started reading articles and interviews and yep, i spent my little mini lunch break running back to the bookshop to buy the book. and i was so lucky. it was the last copy! and now it’s mine. and i’m going to start reading it just as soon as i finish typing. i’d like to say i’d read it all tonight but i can’t read that fast. below is a photo of me looking back at grace. such a cool book. such a cool person. i want to be just like grace when i grow up. please excuse my nails. i should have painted them this morning but i ran out of time. i hate it when nails aren’t perfect and they are like mine are right now. if i had of painted a top coat they would have lasted longer. anyway you should all find out who grace is and fall in love with her just like i have! oh and the picture below that one is of the inside cover of the book. i love it!